Creating Robust Local and Regional Food Systems
A robust, sustainable local food supply requires farmland.
AFT works in the Pacific Northwest to protect this much needed farmland and support family farmers.
Serving on the King County Local Food Economy Initiative advisory board, AFT helped create the county's first roadmap to a sustainable, resilient local food system. Recommendations identified three AFT priority areas: land protection, land access, and farm profitability.
- Collaborates with partners to create informative publications
- Supports legislation to develop the local food system
- Meets with policy makers and advocacy groups
Our policy work
- Supports Washington State legislation to promote local food system development and
- Advocates for funding of Healthy Farms, Healthy Foods, Healthy Kids and critical food and nutrition assistance
AFT participates in the Washington Food System Roundtable with other experts. Bringing our expertise in farmland preservation, AFT collaborates with roundtable members to support local agriculture.