Location: Sebastopol, CA
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, how that land is farmed or grazed, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). AFT unites farmers and environmentalists in developing practical solutions that protect farmland and the environment. We work from “kitchen tables to Congress”—tailoring solutions that are effective for farmers and communities and can be magnified to have greater impact.
The Operations and Administrative Coordinator is responsible for managing day-to-day operations and administration as well as providing communications and fundraising support in California. The OC will work under the supervision of the California State Director, and as directed, will provide support to other staff throughout the state. This position is a three-quarter time position with potential to grow to full time in one year’s time. The position is located in the Sebastopol, California office of American Farmland Trust. Occasional travel to the Sacramento office and events is required (5-10% percent of work hours).
- Organize weekly and monthly staff meetings by managing calendar invites, securing meeting venues and completing and distributing agendas.
- Coordinate consulting contracts with California staff and headquarters’ administrative and financial division including invoices, expense account reports, time sheets and other administrative reports. Assist AFT staff with project budget tracking and revisions as needed; manage and create effective administrative systems to maximize efficiency.
- Support with regional outreach by tracking and analyzing social media and newsletter performance, monitoring regional news coverage of AFT, and creating custom visual and video assets.
- Coordinate logistics for program, outreach and fundraising events including registrations, meeting room rentals, catering, A/V and other support as needed. In addition, manage logistics and prepare materials and presentations for meetings and conferences.
- Manage the California State Director’s travel arrangements and meeting schedule.
- Work as a liaison to National IT staff for all computer needs.
- Work with AFT staff in responding to public inquiries and processing requests for information.
- Effectively and efficiently manage day-to-day operation of AFT’s Sebastopol office including but not limited to the maintenance of office equipment, requisition of office supplies and furniture, and digital and paper filing systems. Assist with Sacramento office needs as necessary.
- Assist in fundraising operations working collaboratively with the West Coast Director of Development including coordinating high-volume mailings to donors and prospects, assisting in preparing proposal packages for donors, developing and finalizing reports, setting up donor visits and assisting in the coordination of special donor cultivation and stewardship events throughout California.
- At least three years of experience in a similar administrative position with a similar level of responsibility
- Excellent administrative management, verbal and written communication, and organizational skills
- Previous experience with contract management, budget creation and management.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with the public and AFT staff throughout California and at headquarters
- Organized and detail-oriented and demonstrated commitment to high quality professional work
- Must be flexible and able to work with periodic supervision as part of the California team
- Courteous, outgoing personality and a sense of humor a plus.
- Willingness to become knowledgeable about the programs and activities of American Farmland Trust
Please submit a cover letter with your resume for consideration.
If you are eager to join our team, please visit this page to apply.
American Farmland Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.