Farm Fresh Recipe
This issue’s Farm Fresh Recipe comes from Open
Kitchen in Falls
Church, Virginia—one of our 2010 Dine Out for Farms™
participants. Open Kitchen is a neighborhood bistro where food and wine
lovers enjoy seasonally inspired handmade food, local and international
wines, freshly roasted coffee, hand-crafted teas, and made-in-house desserts. In
addition to serving up delicious and seasonal food, Open Kitchen also provides
a unique service to Northern Virginia by allowing new entrepreneurs to rent a kitchen space to start their own
small businesses producing unique handcrafted food. The Open Kitchen space can
also be rented for a host-your-own “Iron
1 pint artichoke hearts, chopped1 pint mushroom, sliced
1 pint onions, sliced in half and caramelized
1 cup sundried tomatoes, julienned
1 pint fontina cheese, cut into chunks
¼ cup garlic cloves, roasted
Green Bread Crumbs – Panko bread crumbs, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme and oregano
2 cups Wine
Salt and Pepper
• Run bread crumbs through food processor and add chopped herbs to processor. Pulse to thoroughly combine – be careful not to pulse into a green paste.
• Caramelize onions in a pan over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and saute down. Add artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, and roasted garlic cloves. Bring to temperature and then when a coating develops on the bottom of the pan, deglaze with white wine. Cook for a few minutes to allow alcohol to boil off. Set aside to cool.
• Cut cheese into chunks and place in bowl. Add green bread crumbs and herbs to bowl.
• Once vegetable mixture is cooled, combine together in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Lay 1 piece of phyllo on table top. Brush melted butter on to the surface of phyllo dough, lay a second piece of dough on top and brush melted butter. Lay a third piece of phyllo dough on top and brush with butter.
• Place two spoonfuls of the filling in a line about 1 inch away from the edge of the dough and about 2 inches on either end. Begin to roll and press sides down.